6914 Chestnut Ridge Road, Lockport, NY 14094 | Directions
DeSales Catholic School Facebook Fan Page DeSales Catholic School Twitter Page DeSales Catholic School YouTube  Page DeSales Catholic School RSS Feed
Desales CAtholic School - About Us

History

                

 

 

 

DeSales Catholic High School was established in 1946 by the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales. Opened as an all-boys' secondary school, it was originally housed in the former home of Herbert Harrison on Chestnut Ridge Road.   Enrollment grew under the careful guidance of the Oblates, and a new building was dedicated on March 27, 1949.   During the 1950's, DeSales was enlarged, and became co-ed in 1958 when the all-girls' St. Joseph's Academy in Lockport was closed.   The Sisters of St. Mary of Namur, who had founded and served as teachers at the Academy, were added to the DeSales faculty.

 

Over the years, DeSales has had an exemplary record in academic, artistic, and athletic achievements, and many leaders in the Lockport community are DeSales alumni.   However, declining enrollment forced the closure of DeSales High School in 1989.   For several years General Motors leased the building for use as a training facility.

 

In the meantime, the Diocese of Buffalo authorized the formation of the Lockport Catholic Education Council as the governing body for the three parish grammar schools in the city.   From 1970 – 1994, Lockport Catholic School existed as a consolidated school system serving grades PreK - 8 in three school buildings: St. Mary's, founded in 1892, St. Patrick's, founded in 1907, and St. John the Baptist, founded in 1925.  

 

In 1993, a group of concerned parents proposed to the Diocese that DeSales be reopened as a regional Catholic elementary school.   The effort was called “The Move of Faith”, and organizers were required to raise $500,000, maintain student enrollment, and refurbish the building.   With dedication, prayer, and hard work, the enrollment and fundraising goals were not merely met, but surpassed. On Sunday, August 24, 1994, the Most Reverend Edward D. Head, Bishop of Buffalo, joined with parents, students, and supporters to celebrate the re-opening of DeSales as Eastern Niagara County's only Catholic elementary school.

 

Today, DeSales Catholic is a vibrant school community with a common goal of providing an exceptional Catholic education that meets the needs of today's ever-changing society.   We have a dedicated faculty committed to the academic and spiritual education of our children, inspiring them to be innovative thinkers, responsible future leaders, and to achieve their greatest potential.   All the members of the DeSales family - students, teachers, and parents - work in partnership to live out the values taught by Saint Francis de Sales of love, compassion, mercy, sacrifice, and justice in all they do.